Happy Summer! & Next Year Linky

Today is my first official day of summer! I watched The Price is Right and got my oil changed...so it's been a pretty productive day! Haha. I've also worked on a few things for this summer and next school year, which is why I'm joining in with Finding JOY in 6th Grade for her Next Year Linky!

So here are the things that I definitely want to do next year...
1.
I am already in the process of this. My previous word wall was very large and took up way too much space. I made some new circular word wall cards and have made the sections for each letter smaller than they were before. Here are a few pictures...
In this picture, you can see that the word wall was taking up the entire bulletin board! It was huge. It's hard to tell in the next picture, because I zoomed in too much, but the word wall now only takes up part of the board. I made the sections smaller so the whole word wall only goes over to about the letter E (in the above picture). Now I have more bulletin board space! I plan on putting my polka dot digraph/phonogram/blend cards on the open space next to the new word wall.

2. 
My school started implementing the Math Common Core State Standards this year. Now that I have a better handle on the CCSS, I want to try adding a math word wall to my classroom. I'm thinking it might serve as kind of a vocabulary and reminder wall. I want the students to see the words that I'm telling them about and be able to develop their understanding of that word based on the instruction and in class activities. Here is what I'm thinking for the math word wall cards {freebie}. I also want to try out math journals this year! My kids already have reading response journals that they use during guided reading with me. I have heard great things about math journals and how you get to see each child's way of solving problems and showing their thinking so it's definitely something I want to try out! Look for posts about this in the future :)
(Also in this picture: Polka Dot Number Cards and Proud Heart)

3.
 I'm really good about filing data in the student binders and keeping everything neat and right where I need it in the beginning of the year...but as the year drags on (around January or so), I find that I just have more and more piles of things that need to be put away. So my goal next year is to stay on top of the data and filing!

4.
And finally, something that I am definitely going to do next year is enjoy my maternity leave :) I'm 20 weeks today! Woo-hoo, half way there! We find out the gender of Baby tomorrow! I've always been a freak about missing school...I hated it! I always felt it was more stressful to stay home than to just go in not feeling well. But I will definitely enjoy my time off starting in the end of October! :)

So there are the things that I definitely want to do next school year. You should go link up yours :)

Here are a few things I worked on today for this summer & next year.
1. Zebra Print Kindergarten "bubble gum" Word Cards.
TpT    or    TN
My school has a safari theme for next year so the zebra print is perfect (plus, I just love it in general)! The words on the cards are the words our little Ks are expected to know at the end of the year. I always do a quick review of them at the beginning of first grade before starting on with our first grade words. So check them out (they're free!).
Freebie Fridays

2. Summer Addition & Subtraction Matching Cards.
TpT    or    TN
All kids can use some practice in the summer! Here are 2 sets of addition and subtraction matching cards (addition & subtraction within 10) that they can use. You might also find these useful if you're still in school for another couple of weeks! They're great for small group practice and station/center work. 

Have a great weekend! :)


P.s-Don't forget to check out my husband's new blog :)
Mr. J.'s Journal

6 comments

  1. Congratulations on the new baby! You should definitely enjoy your leave. I love your new word wall. I've been trying to decide if I'll do one next year or not (5th grade). You will love the math journals. I implemented mine this year, and loved having kids use them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Congratulations on the baby! That's so exciting! My children are not babies anymore. Sometimes, I get baby fever then realize that all three of my children are pretty much independent. Then, I snap back to reality! :)

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new addition! I'm not going to be able to check out my new classroom until mid august, so not sure where I'll put a word wall, but I'd like it to be small too..they do just take up so much space! lol And yes, a math wall would be neat too :)

    Sarah
    teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Enjoy every moment with your little one!

    :)
    Tamera
    My Heart Belongs in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cait, I'm new to your blog...found you from Kim's linky. You and I have very similar goals for the upcoming school year...except the maternity leave thing:) Congrats! My boys are 11 & 6 this year, so maternity leave has been quite awhile ago! You should DEFINITELY enjoy every bit of it...they grow up so fast! Please stop by and check out my blog. I was good about blogging last summer & fall, but it's fallen by the wayside a little:( I'll do better this year:)
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!
    Thanks for linking up your freebie at TBA this week. I'm having a Great, Big Pout-Pout Fish Giveaway and I would love for you to enter!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete